tirsdag 16. februar 2010

Charlie Wilson's War.


We saw Charlie Wilson's War today, and I have to say that I were very impressed. The film covered the real story about Congressman Charles Wilson, and his quest to make sure the poor Afghan people got the weapons they needed to stop a Soviet invasion in the midst of the Cold War.

I think the film had a lot of very interesting characters, spanning from the lighthearted Charlie Wilson to the rather inverted Joanne, and also Gust, which I would describe as a reckless and rather realistic American. I think these three characters made the film, but I also have to add that there were several other deep and funny characters.

Also, the story around Charlie Wilson and what he did in the 1980s is something everyone should know. That he managed to lobby and make deals with several Middle-Eastern governments while keeping everything under the press' radar is rather extraordinary, and it also helped the Aghan people get their liberty and peace. What is rather ironic in this film is that Charlie Wilson was advised by Gust to keep sending funds to Afghanistan, as they needed a lot of money to re-build the country. Of course, the Americans often come in and clean things up, but they often don't care too much about what happens afterwards, and you could say that they got smacked by not doing so.

I really enjoyed the film, and I have to say that I've found a new character on my hall of fame; Gust Avrakotos.

1 kommentar:

  1. As always you have a slightly different approach in you writings then the rest of the class! But as usual you get the meaning through and in an amazing way I must say. I agree with you it is an interesting film, and an important story everyone should know about. Especially if they want to fully understand the conflict in Afghanistan. And I liked Gust too since he is the one to point out the importance of the after-work ignored by those who could have made a difference!

    SvarSlett